Contrary to popular belief you can have born style and comfort in your home – even without breaking the bank. Here I’m going to show you some of my favorite places I find the best pieces to tie together where I lay my head at night (and some cases don’t lay my head but binge on Netflix while binging on ice cream).
There are a three important components in the makings of a bedroom: the lighting, the layout, the color palette.
Lighting: the more the better – Windows, lamps, ceiling, candles
Layout: the open the better – create the illusion of taller ceilings and larger floors = more space.
- tall curtains
- tall upward facing floor lamps
- Light color rugs
- Rug runners (long skinny rugs) – create the illusion of wider floors – especially light color
- neutral neutral neutral
- subtle pops of color that are removable / interchangeable
- Core Light Options (pick one and can play with the different hue levels for contrast): mauve, blush, taupe, sand, ivory, heather grey, Sky periwinkle blue, beige
- Secondary Dark Options (best in moderation – shouldn’t be core color): slate blue, burgundy, plum, midnight navy, black, charcoal grey, olive, dark chocolate brown
- Tertiary Pop Options: depends on your primary light color and secondary darker color – reds and greens can get too loud and distracting – stick to pops using softer hues of yellow, purple, coral or blue – you could even play with splashes of gold, rose gold, silver and bronze
Here’s to making the layout work:
- Moroccan Wool 5×8 Rug (Souk Wool Rug, west elm, $399)
- Simple Pattern 8×10 (Barrow Paisley Rug, Pier 1, $679)
- Hand-Knotted Neutral 5×8 (Marlowe, Pottery Barn, $599)
- Cotton Wool Cozy (PALOMITA HAND LOOMED BLANKET, Amber Interiors, $350)
- Peruvian Herringbone Alpaca (AVENA BLANKET, Citizen Interiors, $275)
- Ivory Mongolian Plush (Mongolian Throw, Z Gallerie, $799)
The floor lamp:
- Modern Square – (Welton Floor Lamp, Wayfair, $99)
- Make a Statement – (Gibson Tripod Floor Lamp, Pottery Barn, $469)
- Something different + personal fave – (Clustered Torchiere Floor Lamp, anthropologie, $1,348)
The table lamp:
- Modern – (Roar + Rabbit Crackle Glaze Ceramic Table Lamp – Large, west elm, $149)
- Bright light – (Harlow Table Lamp, All Modern, $199)
- Color Pop – (VINTAGE TURQUOISE CERAMIC, Hollywood at Home, $1,035)
- Cirque Tea Light – (Z Gallerie, $19.95)
- Late night reading – (Miles Desk Lamp – Gold, School House Interiors, $319)
- Circle Wall Sconce (urban outfitters, $79)
- Mercury Moonglow (anthropologie, $18-$68)
I’ll be posting again soon about how to choose the right bed frame, headboard, footboard, bed bench, more pillows, more throws, and bedding-comforters that I love to snuggle in.
Also watch for how you can easily transition your bedroom from summer to fall – it’s all in the decor details – coming soon!!