While I am not ready to discuss boots and booties, (but don’t worry both new/separate posts – coming very soon!) even though they’re one of my favorite styles of shoes, I’ve been getting a lot of questions and requests about how I seamlessly transition my heels from summer to fall without losing any personality, color or fabulous-ness. First of all – let me say that just because the seasons are changing doesn’t mean you are suddenly bed ridden to UGGs and sneakers, which I know all about having grown up in Wisconsin.
Working in the fast-paced world of advertising with a shoe obsession can be a challenging desire. Choosing office-appropriate yet runway worthy styles is a form of art in itself, but as a committed shopaholic, I consider shoe design at the highest of regards.
So, due to popular request, I have scouted some of my most favorite, comfortable, stylish, some timeless, some trendy, transitional heels that can be worn to the office, worn out at night, and even worn dancing around your house in your PJs.
Transitional style is all about the features of the actual shoe. You have to consider where you live, your culture, your climate, and most of all – your lifestyle. Are you a workaholic? Do you run 1000 mph on a daily basis? Are you a fashionista? Are you practical? Are you on top of trends? Are you all about the basics? That’s up to YOUR lifestyle.
However – there are a few components that translate across the board:
Showing Toes: Transitional style is all about them toes. They can be covered, but they can be peeking out. There’s something about a pointy-toe that makes me think of fall. If you go for a peek-a-boo slightly open toe – it should be JUST that – barely open.
- Your Girl Taupe Suede Lace-Up heels, LuLu’s, $39
- Fantasia in Rose Gold, Steve Madden, $89.95
- Taylor Ghillie Pointy Toe Pump in Blue Suede, Sam Edelman, $139.95
- So Kate Pointy Toe Pump in Purple/Indigo Suede, Christian Louboutin, $675
The Color & The Texture: Anything black goes. Anything leather goes. Anything velvet goes.
- Twist Strap Tortoise Block Heel in black, ASOS, $68
- CARRSONV metallic block heel in Grey Velvet, Steve Madden, $89.95
- Buckle Up Court shoes in black, MISSGUIDED, $56
- Hampton Heel in Black Leather, Dolce Vita, $230
- Burgundy Velvet, MIU MIU, $750
The Heel: Say good-bye to wedges, say hello to chunky fun. While chunky heels are my favorite no matter the season, if you pair a dark color with a chunky style heel – it appears to be heavier visually and the dark color plays into the fall season (even though yes you can certainly wear black chunky heels in summer – this is a way to take that black chunky heel all the way into fall). Pair it with a midi tulle skirt and tights or jet black pants to give balance to seeing the skin of your toes & ankles.
- Dallan Pump w/ Lace Up heel detail in Blue Peacock Suede, Vince Camuto, $128.95
- Abby Suede Sandal w/ Rhodium in Sand, Alexander Wang, $450
- Wild Thing Fringe Block Heel in Black, Aquazzura, $795
- Rocketed Leather sandal in Light Stone, Valentino, $1,045
The Ankle Strap: Ankle straps are good any season – but the thicker they are and the darker the color – the more they work for fall season. Ankle straps can even be as extreme as a full on foot/ ankle wrap. This is where fun trendy patters like scallops, laser cut design, and leathers come into play. With this style shoe – leather or velvet is a great way to create a fun, lightweight, yet fall-appropriate ensemble.
- Selina Ankle Strap Mary Jane style pump in Dusty Rose Suede, Via Spiga, $195
- Calivia Sandal in Raspberry Suede, Vince Camuto, $128.95
- Deirda Lace Up Sandal in Black Leather, BCBG, $117.95
- Betseyville Haley Fringe/Stud Sandal in Natural Ivory, Target, $39.99
So no matter what your budget, your style or your lifestyle, there is a fashion-forward fall heel PERFECTLY suited for you. Want help piecing together your transitional wardrobe? Message me and see how I can help flawlessly guide you through the fall fashion transition – either on a budget or the limits of the sky – let me be your stylist!
As October and November approaches – get ready for more on my favorite booties, boots, how to pair them, Thanksgiving outfits, merry holiday attire, and the perfect NYE dresses and jumpsuits!
Now just wait for the leaves to change color….(unless you’re in California like me – it’s almost time for Indian summer baby!)