One of my new years resolutions for 2016 was to take better care of myself – better care of my body, mind, soul and SKIN. While most people who know me only see what I post on social media and snapchat – very few know that after moving to Los Angeles, my skin erupted with cystic acne breakouts – covering my entire face so intensely to the point where I ALMOST called in to work sick one day because I couldn’t stand to even look myself in the mirror without coming to tears (and if you know me – you know if I call in sick I am probably actually in the hospital). I didn’t feel pretty, I didn’t want to face the world. It was the first time I had ever stooped that low into self-confidence depression.
As time passed and I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself and started reaching out to other women, online forums and group blogs, every girlfriend in my phonebook, doctors, therapists, skin gurus, acupuncturists, I realized that adult hormonal acne (specifically cystic) is SO common in women ages 22-34. Doctors say it is due to the change in estrogen levels as we get older and our oil glands evolve. Another cause is due to irregular thyroids and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) – which is what I was diagnosed with. One of the more devastating side effects of PCOS is elevated risk for infertility, high blood pressure, and low blood sugar due to decreased iron levels (**NOTE that I am NOT a certified physician and these are merely my PERSONAL results and one should not act upon what I have stated above – please consult your primary doctor if you have real concerns).
So why am I telling you all of this now? Because I think it is important to understand there is hope – there are solutions – and sometimes these solutions take TIME. Having tried every single product line on the walls of Sephora/Ulta/Macy’s, going to skin care clinics and spas galore, and spending THOUSANDS (literally) of dollars on dermatologists, specialty doctors, and HEAVY, DANGEROUS, prescription meds, creams, gels, injections, skin grafs, Ultra sounds – I can tell you your best regimen is TIME and water. LOTS of water.
I have become a huge advocate for natural remedies – don’t waste your time going to a dermatologist or undergoing fancy procedures – they’re expensive and generally make matters worse rather than better (to keep you coming back for more)
FAVORITE PRODUCTS / MY ROUTINE
- Step 1: Scrub Cleanser:
- Angels on Bare Skin, LUSH, $38.95
- Step 2: Moisturizer (4x a week):
- Magical Moringa, LUSH, $24.95
- Toner (Daily): Breath of Fresh Air, LUSH, $22.95
- Step 1: Smooth Cleanser:
- Fresh Pharmacy, LUSH, $11.95 (3.5 oz)
- Step 2: Moisturizer (Daily):
- Vanishing Cream, LUSH, $44.95
- Step 2b: Moisturizer (2x a week):
- Gorgeous, LUSH, $87.95
- Step 1b: Pair this scrub 2x a week on the same night as the 2x a week moisturizer:
- Ocean Salt (self-preserving) scrub, LUSH, $21.95
- Step 1c: Do this wipe 1x a week either middle of the week or Sunday w/ the 5x a week moisturizer
- Miracle Pads, Cane+Austin, $78
- Indian Healing Clay, Aztec Secret, $12.99
- Dead Sea Mud Mask, Pure Body Naturals, $14.20
- Probiotic Turmeric Root, TULA, $52
- Cosmetic Warrior, LUSH, $8.95
- Raw Honey w/ Pink Clay, Bee Friendly Skin, $29.99
- Coconut Sheer oil, KOPARI, $44
- Frankincense Essential Oil, Majestic Pure, $19.99
- Tamanu Oil, Mountain Rose Herbs, $8
Hopefully some of these products can work for you – and maybe you already use some! I know Lush has been my saving grace beauty product and best part is you can sample EVERYTHING before you buy it.
You have nothing to lose! I don’t get commission and don’t have any alterior motives other than wanting to help people with their skin, because I know how painful that struggle can be.
Please message or comment with any questions you may have!